The fundamental aim of the medical education at the Faculty of Medicine is to train specialists who via their highly-developed professionalism are able to keep the health of the society.
Notwithstanding the differences in the lawful foundations of education, the recognition and administration of the physician's profession, it is traditionally strictly regulated.
The Faculty of Medicine at Medical University "Prof. Dr. Paraskev Stoyanov"-Varna trains professional doctors who successfully apply the mastered knowledge and skills for prevention, recuperation and consolidation of society's health, it means the mission of the Faculty is directed to the public needs and requirements. Having in mind the traditions and the level of development of the Bulgarian medicine, the health care development trends in the European Community and the global standards of higher medical education, developed by the World Federation of Medical Education, the Faculty is called upon to keep and develop its academic and professional independence, to ensure and inspire the development of professional knowledge and medical science, to guarantee deserving fulfillment of its graduates as humane, responsible and developing persons.
The Faculty of Medicine forms the aspects of its graduates in accordance with the academic standards and requirements namely:
- The trained specialists shall acknowledge to the highest degree the medical needs and the expectations of the society;
- The trained specialists shall take their professional responsibility and shall be aware of their competency and potentiality;
- The trained specialists shall be able to assess in case of insufficient information;
- The trained specialists shall take the challenge of life-long, continuous professional development and improvement;
- The trained specialists shall show critical way of thinking to the increasing information flow in the scope of theoretical and practical medicine;
- The trained specialists shall adapt to the changing environment in the system of healthcare and health insurance as they shall minister its improvement.
The Master-physician is an accomplished specialist who enjoys the necessary knowledge, skills and qualities for the realization of the contents, goals and assignments of the general medical practice.
A graduate, who has completed higher education in the medical program with educational and qualification degree of Master should be able to demonstrate:
1. Complete range of knowledge in the problems "Health-Disease-Patient" and the factors that define them;
2. Profound knowledge in the range of Fundamental Biomedical Sciences as a basis of theory and practice in medicine;
3. Knowledge on Medical Ethics, Medical Psychology and Deontology so that one would be able:
- to take up the patient as unique individuality and to apply to the patient psychological and intrapersonal oriented medical approach;
- to react adequately in the rise of moral and ethical problems in his/her family, working environment or between the patient and the members of the health team.
4. Large volume of theoretical knowledge in the clinical disciplines – Etiology, Pathogenesis, Clinics, Diagnosis, Differential Diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of the diseases.
5. Good knowledge on medical terminology, the list of articles and the international classification of the diseases;
6. Fundamental practical skills and possessing of algorithms of therapeutic conduct necessary for implementation of the good medical practice;
- integral clinical examination of the patient;
- developing of differential diagnostic plan;
- taking of independent decision of therapeutic conduct in the first meeting of the patient;
- developing of a clinical hypothesis in emergency cases in Internal Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, Neurology and other clinical specialties and using of fundamental methods and algorithms of Emergency Medicine in those cases.
- Mastering of fundamental and specific instrumental as well as other diagnostic methods and techniques, specified in the framework of the training programs in the different disciplines;
- Knowledge on the main groups of medicines for treatment of social significant and chronic diseases;
- Fundamental knowledge on pregnancy and reproductive health;
- Prevention and recuperation of the psychic health of the population;
7. Mastering of the rules for prophylaxis and health promotion;
8. Ability to perform health instruction.
9. Knowledge for carrying out on investigation on the labour ability;
10. Mastering the methods of medical statistics and to obtain minimum knowledge in Medical informatics.
11. That he/she is introduced to the organization of the healthcare system in Bulgaria and the related to it fundamental legislative acts.
At the end of his/her training, the Master physician must enjoy the following qualities:
- ability to make a decision in problem cases (situations);
- ability to take responsibility and risk;
- adequate interacting skills;
- strategic skills to team work with other medical and/or non-medical specialists;
- ability to be a leader and/or a coordinator in medical and other organizations in healthcare;
- Conscious for critical attitude to the quality of his/her work;
- Confidence in the necessity of accumulation of new theoretical and practical knowledge and qualifications and aspiration to post-graduate and continuous education;
- Orientation to public standing out and social engagement;
As a result of the acquired knowledge and skills the just promoted Master-physician would be able to:
1. duly provide outpatient and hospital medical help;
2. adapt to the:
- the requirements of the public and the employer;
- dynamic changes in the healthcare system;
- needs of the relevant patient;
- changes in the demographic profile and the illness rate of the population;
- development of medical science and technologies;
3. take the responsibilities which he/she is expected to and to win recognition of his/her position in the healthcare system.