Medical University - Varna was founded as a Higher Medical Institute (HMI) in 1960. 1st October 1961, the first day of the first academic year at the first higher medical school in North-Eastern Bulgaria, is deemed to be the date of birth of HMI - Varna. The foundation of the third medical higher education institution in Bulgaria responds to the increasing public demand for highly qualified medical personnel and specialised medical care for the population of this region of the country.
What has been happening at MU-Varna over the years?
- Simulation Centre is established at MU-Varna.
- Centre of Competence in the Field of Personalised Medicine, 3D and Telemedicine, Robotic-Assisted and Minimally Invasive Surgery is established.
- MU-Varna takes over the management of "Specialised Hospital for Active Treatment of Eye Diseases" - Varna EOOD
- Entenar+ - the first product with the logo of MU-Varna is developed
- The only one in Bulgaria training module intended for trainee-doctors "Organisation and Management in Disaster and Crises with a Large Number of Casualties" is launched.
- Master's programmes "Health Management and Medical and Social Care" and "Pharmaceutical Management and Care" are launched.
- University Centre of Maritime Health at the Faculty of Public Health is established.
- The most famous in the world textbook on Surgery "Schwartz Principles of Surgery" is translated and published by MU-Varna.
- Prof. Dr. Raed Arafat, a famous expert on natural disasters, mass destruction and counter-terrorism, is awarded the honorary title of "Doctor Honoris Causa".
- New television studio with specialised premises for editing, hardware equipment and administrative offices is established at MU-Varna.
- Training of the first students in the programmes of "Military Doctor", "Military Nurse" and "Speech Therapy" is launched.
- The first worldwide Virtual Reality (VR) 3D glasses for laparoscopic surgery are introduced in the training of Surgery.
- The first in Bulgaria training with simulators in the field of Ophthalmology and Ophthalmic Surgery is launched.
- The first specialised course "Optometry Master Class" is underway.
- MU-Varna ranks first in the country in professional field "Medicine" according to data provided by the national rating system.
- New doctoral programmes in "Molecular Biology", "Social Pharmacy" and "Analytical Chemistry" are developed.
- The first scientific student journal of MU-Varna – "Scripta Scientifica Vox Studentium" is published.
- Hospital "Virgin Mary" - Burgas is affiliated to the University clinical facilities as a part of the development strategy of MU-Varna.
- Prof. Dr. Karl Stangl, an eminent German cardiologist, is awarded the honorary title of "Doctor Honoris Causa".
- The first laparoscopic surgery simulator in Bulgaria is introduced in the training of undergraduate and postgraduate students at MU-Varna.
- MU-Varna holds the world record in the Guinness Record Book for the largest human DNA helix, involving 4 000 participants.
- Decree of the Council of Ministers is issued stipulating the establishment of a Research Institute within the structure of Medical University - Varna.
- New, modern 9-storey building is opened for the Faculty of Pharmacy at MU-Varna, which has won a special award in category "Educational Infrastructure" within the "Building of the Year" competition.
- Modern laboratory "3D Technology in Dentistry" is opened, which is implemented under a project and the financial support of the National Science Fund at the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Bulgaria.
- The first Master's programme in the field of "Protection and Control of Public Health" is launched.
- Affiliates of MU-Varna in Veliko Tarnovo and Shumen are inaugurated under decrees of the Council of Ministers.
- MU-Varna officially launches the broadcast of the first national University Television MU-Vi.tv
- The country's first University Centre of Oriental Medicine is inaugurated.
- The first Centre of Translational Medicine and Cell Therapy is inaugurated in Eastern Bulgaria.
- After a nearly 25-year break, Medical University - Varna, together with the Bulgarian Red Cross, resumes the International Festival of Red Cross and Health Films.
- The first in Bulgaria University Dental Centre is inaugurated.
- Training of the first Masters in programme "Rehabilitation, Sea Therapy, Wellness and SPA" is launched.
- MU-Varna is № 1 among the medical universities in Bulgaria according to Webometrics, the largest academic ranking of higher education institutions.
- The first International Seminar and Workshop on Counterterrorism takes place, organised by Medical University – Varna, together with the Embassy of Israel in Bulgaria.
- Prof. Dr. Rudolf Speich, a leading European and world specialist in the field of pulmonary hypertension, is awarded the honorary title of "Doctor Honoris Causa".
- Affiliate of MU-Varna in Sliven is inaugurated under a decree of the Council of Ministers.
- Prof. Hans-Peter Marti, a prominent European nephrologist and kidney transplant specialist, is awarded the honorary title of "Doctor Honoris Causa".
- Training of the first Masters in programme "Pharmaceutical Management" is underway.
…and some more significant facts from the history of Medical University - Varna over the past years...
Over the first 10 years following the foundation of MU-Varna, all departments and main clinical facilities have been developed. Training and research facilities have been created. The main emphasis has been laid upon the continuous improvement of practical training. In parallel with the expansion of the institute, construction of new hospital buildings is organised both for training purposes and for the healthcare needs in North-Eastern Bulgaria. Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Psychiatric Hospital (the largest on the Balkan Peninsula), Eye Hospital, Therapeutic Hospital (the current University Hospital "St. Marina" EAD - Varna) have been built.
The establishment of Medical Academy in 1972 (until 1987) and the incorporation of all higher medical institutions in the country in it opened up new opportunities for comprehensive development. In 1978 the Affiliate Faculty of HMI-Varna in Dobrich (Tolbuhin) was opened for training third to sixth-year medical students. Higher Medical Institute - Varna has grown into a major centre of education of medical personnel, of research and innovation implementation, of medical-diagnostic, consulting and organizational-methodological assistance. It has at its disposal valuable and modern equipment.
Higher Medical Institute - Varna was renamed Medical University - Varna in 1995. The University was named after Prof. Dr. Paraskev Stoyanov in 2002. MU-Varna has been sustainably establishing its position as an institution, proving its significance in the field of education and science, acquiring a European image still further. Since 2006 graduating doctors have been entitled to a European Supplement to their diplomas, valid for their professional realisation in all EU member states.
Programme "Health and Social Management" was launched in 1993-1994, aimed at preparing personnel in anticipation of the implementation of the Bulgarian Health System Reform.
In 2001 the Faculty of Public Health was established upon a decree of the Council of Ministers. Four years later it became a member of the Association of Schools of Public Health in the European Region (ASPHER).
In 2002 MU-Varna received the "International Gold and Silver Quality Award 2002" in Mexico City.
In 2004 in Maastricht (the Netherlands) Medical University - Varna was approved as a full member of one of the most prestigious international associations, the Association of European Universities.
In 2006 the newest and most state-of-the-art Faculty of Dental Medicine on the Balkans opened its doors at the University.
In 2007 a Laboratory of Nutrigenomics was inaugurated at Medical University - Varna, equipped with state-of-the-art equipment for molecular biological research, under a project funded by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Science.
In 2008 the new Faculty of Pharmacy was established. With the opening of the two new faculties - the Faculty of Dental Medicine and the Faculty of Pharmacy, Medical University - Varna has acquired the full structure of a traditional higher education institution in these regulated professions.
In 2008, for the first time in South-East Europe, the Faculty of Medicine launched training in a new elective subject "Maritime Medicine", which is studied predominantly in developed maritime countries.