Habilitated lecturers from the Department conduct training in Pediatrics for students from the Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Faculty of Public Health and the Medical College. Moreover, the discipline has been taught in English for international students since academic year 2008/2009. Distance training in Pediatrics and Medical Genetics for medical students is going to be launched in academic year 2013/2014. For the needs of practical exercises, a room supplied with modern technical equipment is provided, allowing distance learning and conferencing.
Training in Medical Genetics
The discipline has been taught in English for foreign students since 2004. Medical Genetics is taught in the specialties Medicine, Pharmacy, Medical Laboratory Assistant, Midwifery and Nursing, as well as to postgraduate students of Pediatrics, Cardiology, Hematology, General Medicine, etc.
At the Department of Pediatrics and Medical Genetics postgraduate training in Pediatrics for specializing doctors is conducted.
At present the Department is a training base for specializing doctors in all specific pediatric specialties - Pediatric Еndocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Pediatric Clinical Hematology and Oncology, Pediatric Pneumology and Phthisiatrics, Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Rheumatology, Pediatric Gastroenterology and Pediatric Neurology. The Department is the base for conducting the module "Pediatrics and Medical Genetics" for doctors, specializing in General Medicine.
As a training base, the Department also gives scope for updating the knowledge of the basic children's diseases and problems of Medical Genetics with its ten specialized courses per year. The courses have a duration starting from three days up to three months and include lectures and thematic workshops for acquiring practical skills in designated topics. By tradition, the weekly collegiums and grand and seating doctor's rounds in clinics and departments still remain as an integral form of postgraduate training at the Department.
- Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics
- Nussbaum R., R. McInnes, H. Willard. Thompson and Thompson Genetics in Medicine, Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2007.
- Jorde, L. B., J. C. Carey, M. J. Bamshad, R. L.White. Medical Genetics, 3rd ed., St. Louis, Mosby, 2003.
- Oski Principles and Practice of Pediatrics
- Handbook of Pediatric Endocrinology. Eds. Donaldson et al. Blackwell/Lipincot 2010.
- ISPAD Clinical Consensus Guidelines 2010. Pediatric Diabetes 2009-2010 (www.ispad.org/resources)
- Handbook of Pediatric Haematology and Oncology. Eds. Simon Bailey and Rod Skinner. Oxford University Press 2010.
- Pediatric Rheumatology: A Color Handbook. Eds. Ann M. Reed and Thomas G. Mason. Manson Publishing , 2012.
- Pediatric Nephrology: A Handbook for Training Health Care Providers. Eds: Douglas M. Silverstein, Jordan M. Symons and Uri S. Alon. WORLD SCIENTIFIC Publishing Company 2012.
- Handbook of Paediatric gastroenterology, hepatology and nutrition. Eds. Mark Beattie, Anil Dhawan and John WL Puntis. Oxford University Press 2009.
- Diseases of the liver and biliary system in children, D. Kelly , 2009.
- Pediatric Gastrointestinal Disorders Biopsychosocial Assessment and Treatment. Eds. C. Cunningham and G. Banez, 2006.
- Robert F. Mueller & Ian D. Young. Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics, 10th Ed., Churchill Livingstone 1998.
- Michael Connor & Malcolm Ferguson-Smith. Essential Medical Genetics, 5th ed., Blackwell Science Ltd. 1997.
- J.Friedman et al. NMS Genetics, Williams & Wilkins, California, 1996.